Saturday 25 April 2020

Introduction. Blend it, flip it and slay it

                               Blended classrooms, flipped classrooms and teachers who slay it  
Hello.

Teachers always ask me, "how did you get into this?"
By you they mean an old, ordinary looking English teacher who needs the computer lab tech guy to turn the projector on before her classes and who can only stare in disappointment and frustration if the power goes off while her class is in progress.
And by this they mean digital literacy.

The question is usually asked whenever I conduct workshops on using web 2.0 tools in the ESL classroom, anywhere in the country. And my answer is simple, "there was a time when I couldn't even switch on a computer. Even now my students teach me a lot more than what I teach them." This is a winner answer because ALL teachers identify with this situation :)

                                          See? Just a PowerPoint excites me so! :))

At EFL University where I teach, this has never been a question. Everyone just assumed that after working on hypertext reading for my research, using digital tools would be a natural progression. I couldn't have known anything else, right? ;)

Less than a year after joining EFL-U as a teacher, the MA programme coordinator called me one day and said, "next semester you must offer a course on using ICT in the ESL classroom."
"But ma'am I know nothing about it."
"Arrey, you worked on computers, right?"
"Well...err...um...yeah right!"
So there I started! That was 2010.

                                                             EFL University, Hyderabad.  

This blog hopes to tell you how I picked up my digital literacy skills. And from where. The people who helped me. The sources I used. The things I did. Well, sometimes even the blunders I made. So please keep an eye out for the links in each post.
Each blog post is linked to a lot of resources on the web you can use for self-learning and for additional information. Links will also take you to free tools you can use in your classrooms.
And in most posts, links will give you access to open and free ESL teaching and learning resources created by my students from 2010 to 2019.

The blog hopes to tell you how we all can blend our learning, flip our classrooms and slay our teaching.


  

No comments: